HDL : THE GOOD CHOLESTEROL
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a lipid or fat-like substance that’s found in all the cells in your body. Your body needs some cholesterol to work properly. But having too much cholesterol in your blood raises your risk of coronary artery disease.
What is the function of cholesterol?
Cholesterol is an essential structural component of all animal cell membranes and is essential to maintain both membrane structural integrity and fluidity. It is helpful in synthesis of vitamin D and all steroid hormones.
What are the types of lipoproteins?
Types of lipoproteins in the blood. In order of increasing density, they are –
- Very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL),
- Intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL),
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL),
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL).
Whatis good Cholesterol?
HDL particles are thought to transport cholesterol back to the liver, either for excretion or for other tissues that synthesize hormones, in a process known as reverse cholesterol transport (RCT ) . So HDL is called good cholesterol. HDL is called the “good” cholesterol because it carries cholesterol from other parts of your body back to your liver.Liver then removes the cholesterol from body.
How do I know what my HDL level is?
A blood test called LIPID PROFILE can measure your cholesterol levels, including HDL.
How frequently we should check blood lipid profile?
For people who are age 19 or younger:
- The first test should be between ages 9 to 11
- Children should have the test again every 5 years
- Some children may have this test starting at age 2 if there is a family history of high blood cholesterol, heart attack, or stroke
For people who are age 20 or older:
- Younger adults should have the test every 5 years
- Men ages 45 to 65 and women ages 55 to 65 should have it every 1 to 2 years
What is normal level of HDL ?
HDL cholesterol, higher values are better for health. High HDL level can lower your risk for coronary artery disease and stroke. How high your HDL should be depends on your age and sex:
- Age 19 or younger – More than 45mg/dl
- Men age 20 or older – More than 40mg/dl
- Women age 20 or older – More than 50mg/dl
How to increase blood HDL level?
Lifestyle changes help to increase HDL levels and gives protection against cardiovascular diseases.
- Eat a healthy diet. To raise your HDL level, you need to eat good fats instead of bad fats .
- Stay at a healthy weight. You can boost your HDL level by losing weight, especially if you have lots of fat around your waist.
- Getting regular exercise can raise your HDL level, as well as lower your LDL. You should try to do 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous aerobic exercise on most, if not all, days.
- Avoid Smoking and exposure to smoke can lower your HDL level.
Why HDL is called good cholesterol?
Large numbers of HDL particles correlates with better health outcomes,whereas low numbers of HDL particles is associated with atheromatous disease progression in the arteries. High HDL levels gives protection against cardiovascular diseases. So HDL is called good Cholesterol.
What are the drugs that can affect HDL level?
Certain medicines can lower HDL levels .
- Beta blockers
- Anabolic steroids
Which food is advised to avoid for a favourable lipid profile?
Avoid trans fats – they can increase LDL cholesterol and lower HDL cholesterol levels. Foods such as cakes and cookies , fried foods , some margarines.