Red Wine. Is it good for health?
There are many questions about health benefits of red wine. What is the Truth?
What is Red Wine?
Red wine is made from dark-colored, whole grapes by the process of crushing and fermenting.There are many questions about health benefits of red wine. Many studies shows some health benefits with low to moderate amount of red wine drinking. But these health benefits has to be supported by large studies and trials. Heavy alcohol drinking is definitely related to health problems including premature death and psycho social loss. Lets read more about to know what is the truth?
What is the alcohol content of Red Wine?
Alcohol content usually ranges from 12–15%.
How the colour of red wine becomes comes red?
Red color comes from pigments called anthocyanins present in the grape skin.
Exceptionally teinturier varieties produce a red-colored juice.
What are the major antioxidants present in grape skin?
Which antioxidant is mostly responsible for suggested health benefits in Grapes skin ?
What are the sources of Resveratrol?
Sources of resveratrol in food include the
- skin of grapes,
What is the effect of resveratrol on heart disease?
There is no evidence of benefit from resveratrol in those who already have heart disease.
A 2014 Chinese meta-analysis found a statistically significant 11.90 mmHg reduction in systolic blood pressure from resveratrol doses of 150 mg/day.
What are the sources of Polyphenols?
- Fruit and vegetables
- Green tea, black tea
- Red wine
- Coffee, chocolate
- Olives, and extra virgin olive oil
- Nuts and algae
What are the Herbal Tea health benefits?
Herbal teas contain soluble polyphenols which impart astringent effects thought to have medicinal properties.This used as traditional medicines.
Is there a health benefit associated with Red Wine?
- Some studies show health benefits but more number of large studies has to be done to confirm the effects.
- Drinking small amounts of red wine may reduce the risk of heart disease by helping to retain the “good” HDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Antioxidants in Red wine that comes from Grape skin helps to prevent Oxidative damage, oxidative stress .
- This may result in oxidation of the “bad” LDL cholesterol which may also be reduced significantly.
What is the restriction limit of Red Wine ?
Many studies have shown that moderate wine drinkers are at a lower risk of death from heart disease, compared to non-drinkers or beer and spirit drinkers. But this may be largely due to antioxidants available in red wine.Antioxidants are good for health which reduces the oxidative stress and oxidant injury to vital organs.The same antioxidants are also available also in the fruits and vegetables that helps to fight disease.
What are the claimed health benefits of Red Wine?
Following health benefits are claimed with low to moderate Red wine consumption but these needs to be supported by large trials and studies:
- Reduced risk of cancer: Moderate wine consumption is linked with a decreased risk of several cancers, including colon, basal cell, ovary and prostate cancers .
- Reduced risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease .
- Reduced risk of depression
- Reduced insulin resistance
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes in women
More number of large multicenter trials to be done support above findings.
What are the health problems with heavy alcohol drinking?
Excessive intake of alcohol may cause-
- alcohol dependence,
- liver cirrhosis
- weight gain
- Premature Death
- Increase the risk of diabetes
What is the Take Home message?
- Some evidences indicates moderate red wine consumption has health benefits which has to be supported by large trials.
- Heavy alcohol drinking definitely harms the person with social, psychological and health ground including premature death.
So Take Home message is –
- If you are drinking alcohol – and can’t give up – restrict to a moderate amount.
- If you are not drinking alcohol – No need to start drinking alcohol for health benefits. Health benefits claimed to come from alcohol is largely due to antioxidants which is also available in fresh vegetables and fruits.