DASH Diet: Controls Blood Pressure
What is DASH Diet?
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension is known as DASH Diet
- The DASH diet is recommended for people with hypertension (high blood pressure) or prehypertension.
- The DASH diet eating plan has been proven to lower blood pressure in studies .
What is DASH Diet plan ?
It is based on foods rich in-
- Fruits and vegetables
- Low-fat or non-fat dairy
- Take whole grains.
- high fiber foods
- low to moderate fat diet
- Foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils
- Limiting sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.
Can DASH Diet be taken by whole family?
What is one serving?
The portion of one serving is usually observed as:
- serving sizes for fruit include 1/2 cup of canned fruit
- 1/4 cup dried fruit.
- cooked vegetables is 1/2 cup
- serving of raw leafy vegetables is 1 cup
- A standard serve is about 75g (100–350kJ)
- ½ cup cooked green or orange vegetables (for example, broccoli, spinach, carrots or pumpkin)
- ½ cup cooked dried or canned beans, peas or lentils (preferably with no added salt)
- 1 cup green leafy or raw salad vegetables.
What are General tips for reducing daily calories?
- Eat smaller portions more frequently throughout the day.
- Reduce the amount of meat that you eat while increasing the amount of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, or dry beans.
- Substitute low-calorie foods, such as when snacking (choose fruits or vegetables instead of sweets and desserts) or drinking (choose water instead of soda or juice), when possible.