DASH DIET : FOR CONTROL OF BLOOD PRESSURE
What is DASH Diet?
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension is known as DASH Diet
- The DASH diet is recommended for people with hypertension (high blood pressure) or prehypertension.
- The DASH diet eating plan has been proven to lower blood pressure in studies .
What is DASH Diet plan ?
Low salt (or low sodium) diet gives benefit of lowering blood pressure.
The DASH diet provides additional benefits to reduce blood pressure.
It is based on foods rich in-
- Fruits and vegetables
- Low-fat or non-fat dairy
- Take whole grains.
- high fiber foods
- low to moderate fat diet
- Foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils
- Limiting sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.
Can DASH Diet be taken by whole family?
The DASH diet is a healthy plan, designed for the whole family. New research continues to show additional health benefits of the plan.
What is one serving?
The portion of one serving is usually observed as:
- serving sizes for fruit include 1/2 cup of canned fruit
- 1/4 cup dried fruit.
- cooked vegetables is 1/2 cup
- serving of raw leafy vegetables is 1 cup
- A standard serve is about 75g (100–350kJ)
- ½ cup cooked green or orange vegetables (for example, broccoli, spinach, carrots or pumpkin)
- ½ cup cooked dried or canned beans, peas or lentils (preferably with no added salt)
- 1 cup green leafy or raw salad vegetables.
What are General tips for reducing daily calories?
- Eat smaller portions more frequently throughout the day.
- Reduce the amount of meat that you eat while increasing the amount of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, or dry beans.
- Substitute low-calorie foods, such as when snacking (choose fruits or vegetables instead of sweets and desserts) or drinking (choose water instead of soda or juice), when possible.