TOMATOES : FACTS AND HEALTH BENEFITS
1. How much calories are present in Tomatoes?
2. What are health benefits of lycopene?
Potential claims for lycopene are –
Lycopene favorably affects – DNA, skin exposed to ultraviolet radiation, heart function and vision, The European Food Safety Authority concluded that the evidence for lycopene having any of these effects was inconclusive . The health benefits are to be studied and reviewed further.
3. Which vitamins are present in tomato?
Tomatos has moderate source of vitamin C (17% of the Daily Value).
Other vitamins present are –
vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, and thiamine.
4. On cooking tomatos which nutrients are affected?
- Vitamin C is diminished upon cooking.
- Processing of tomatoes increases the concentration of bioavailable lycopene.
- Lycopene in tomato paste is up to four times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes.