TOMATOES : FACTS AND HEALTH BENEFITS
1. How much calories are present in Tomatoes?
100 gram amount, raw tomatoes supply 18 calories. Good food for people on weight loosing program.
2. What are health benefits of lycopene?
Potential claims for lycopene are –
Lycopene favorably affects – DNA, skin exposed to ultraviolet radiation, heart function and vision, The European Food Safety Authority concluded that the evidence for lycopene having any of these effects was inconclusive . The health benefits are to be studied and reviewed further.
3. Which vitamins are present in tomato?
Tomatos has moderate source of vitamin C (17% of the Daily Value).
Other vitamins present are –
vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, and thiamine.
4. On cooking tomatos which nutrients are affected?
- Vitamin C is diminished upon cooking.
- Processing of tomatoes increases the concentration of bioavailable lycopene.
- Lycopene in tomato paste is up to four times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes.
5. What are the Foods rich in Lycopene ?
Lycopene is a bright red carotene and carotenoid pigment and phytochemical found in tomatoes and other red fruits and vegetables, such as red carrots, watermelons, gac, and papayas.
6. What are claimed effects for tomatoes?
- Reduces the oxidative stress of type 2 diabetes.
- Reduces the risk of developing hypertension – This is due to potassium found in tomatoes .
- Helps to maintain healthy teeth, bones, hair, and skin.
- Improves heart function and vision