SAVE A MOTHER : AWARE OF THE FACTS OF PREGNANCY
1.What are the common causes of maternal mortality?
- Hemorrhage 35%
- Hypertension 18%
- Sepsis 8%
- Abortion 9%
- Embolism 1%
- Other conditions 29%
2.What are the Major causes of Maternal Mortality in India ?
- Hemorrhage 38%
- Sepsis 11%
- Abortion 8%
- Hypertensive dosorders 5%
- Obstructed labor 5%
- Other conditions 34%
- Urinary tract infections
- Antepartum haemorrhage
- toxemia of pregnancy
- Pregnancy induced hypertension
- Gestational diabetes
- Puerperal sepsis
- Complications of delivery
4.Which pregnant patients needs special care and to be managed and delivered by an obstetrician?
- Age over 35
- More than five previous births
- Most recent delivery a stillbirth
- Recent neonatal death
- Two or more previous miscarriages or stillbirths
- Recent birth of more than 4000 g
- Hypertension in previous pregnancies
- Convulsions during the current pregnancy
- Hypertension during the current pregnancy
- Malpresentation, e.g. breech, transverse lie
5. Pregnancy : Can it be 100% safe?
Maternal morbidity is completely preventable by proper care and supervision of the mother during
pregnancy, delivery and puerperium.